Because housing at Georgetown University is in high demand and there are few vacancies, student room assignments cannot be changed without serious cause. When a room change is appropriate, everyone involved must follow the guidelines listed below.
- Any room or roommate changes must have the approval of the Hall Director in the building where the student was originally assigned, the Hall Director in the building to which the student wishes to move, and the Office of Housing Services. It is to the student's advantage to obtain approval and complete all the steps involved in order to ensure against any error in the handling of records or accounts.
- A student may not initiate a room change during the first two weeks of the semester.
- Room changes are approved only if it can be clearly demonstrated that a change in room assignments is the only solution to a problem that has arisen. Other means of addressing the problem--for example, mediation between the parties-generally must be exhausted before a Hall Director will approve a switch.
- When a student moves, the appropriate adjustments in rent will occur.
- The Office of Housing Services reserves the right to fill all vacancies that occur throughout the academic year. The remaining student(s) must accept the roommate assigned by the Office of Housing Services.