Concessions and Student Business

In order to protect students from undue harassment, no one may act as an agent or sales representative for a person or business not affiliated with the University, solicit orders for or sell goods or services, deliver products, or collect funds for any purpose (including charitable purposes) whatsoever on the University campus (including in the residence halls) without prior written permission. Requests for such permission must be submitted to the Director of the Center for Student Engagement, who will make decisions consistent with this policy in consultation with the Vice President for Student Affairs and other University officials as appropriate.

In addition, students living in any housing owned by the University may not operate a private business or otherwise engage in commercial activities from these premises. This prohibition includes using a room address, room telephone, or University network connection to conduct any type of business activity, such as acting as an agent for an outside company, soliciting or collecting orders for goods or services, or selling or delivering products. Questions regarding whether an activity comes within this prohibition should be directed to the Director of the Center for Student Engagement.

No unauthorized student group or individuals involved in a private enterprise are to use the name of “GEORGETOWN” or any other University trademark (including “GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY,” “GU,” “HOYAS,” the University seal, the stylized “G,” or the Jack the Bulldog head design) in any manner. Furthermore, should a student or student group engage in a private enterprise or commercial activity, that enterprise or activity cannot conduct its business in any manner that would lead the University community, alumni, parents, or the public to believe that the enterprise is a student activity officially endorsed by the University, its student association or the Center for Student Engagement. 

Violation of this policy may result in referral for discipline under the Code of Conduct; termination of or other action under the Residence Hall & Townhouse Occupancy Agreement (where the prohibited conduct takes place in University housing); and/or legal action.